Effective Value Engineering ProgramsJanuary 24, 2020 2021-02-18 16:46
Effective Value Engineering Programs
An effective and sustained value engineering program will have:
- Top management involvement to ensure implementation and continuing support by middle management.
- A key individual to lead the value engineering program-an individual who has substantial expertise in value engineering principles, techniques, and appropriate acquisitions.
- A plan to ensure that actions which contribute to a successful program are reflected on and acted on.
- Value engineering objectives, goals, policies, responsibilities, and reporting requirements implemented using a project management approach.
- Infrastructure to support including tracking of past activities results.
- The funds required for administrative and operating expenses such as testing and evaluating proposals.
- A comprehensive training and orientation program.
- Dissemination of information (“cross-pollination”) to communicate successful applications to others who can benefit.
- Close coordination with contract administration (contracting officer and contract office representative) and marketing to ensure proper value engineering contractual participation and marketing follow-through.
- Management attention to ensure that the value engineering discipline is used to earn as much additional income as is feasible.
These ideas are the foundation on which the structure of a strong program may be built.